8.04.2008

Day One- July 27th


As I write this we are in the air over Texas flying to El Paso to meet up with the group from Miami. It has been a long morning, we have been up since 3 AM. I only got about 2 hours of sleep last night, and it wasn't restful sleep. I can't wait to arrive and get started. Not really sure what the day holds for us, but I know we are attending a church service, and then having lunch at the church. Kacie is super excited to be seeing someone from her trip last year, I think she pretty much bounced to the gate in Philly and Dallas. Liza has so far managed to survive her first and second airplane rides. Although we let her have the window seat to El Paso, and was less then thrilled when she realized she was right by the noisy engine. Although she did say she saw our luggage going on the plane, which I am grateful for. We are beginning our descent into El Paso so not too much longer until we arrive.

We are all tired, but super excited for what God holds for us this week. I am going into this week with a "I will do whatever it takes" attitude, not expecting anything to be a certain way because I know that it will not be the way I want it to be. (man...figures I just now realized that the head rests have a head support that folds out to protect your head when you are sleeping. Why couldn't I figure that one out hours ago....oh Lord what are you trying to teach me?) Later...


Later that evening

So we met up with the team from Miami, and met up with the GI contact Tim, who was there with GI staff. We waited for the vans to arrive to take us across the border to our home away from home.


We arrived at the "Tapias" (it means unfinished work) where we will be staying for the next 6 days. We unloaded the trailer, and headed up to the bunks. After getting settled, we travelled to the church for a service. God was so alive there-the music was amazing-even though I couldn't understand a word that was being said I could feel God's spirit moving in that place. It was truly an amazing experience! It was nice that we were able to sing some English songs as well. I could feel that God was beginning to prepare my heart for what I was about to do that week. The pastor shared about how we can't allow fear to take over our hearts. We closed with worship, then it was time to eat! We were pretty hungry by this time, and Carmen had prepared a delicious authentic Mexican meal.

Then we loaded up the vans and went to a park with the kids. The kids were so happy, they were grinning ear to ear. Some of them were a little shy, but they opened up quickly. It was funny how when I went to give one of the kids a high five and pulled my hand away because the giggles I got were like none I have ever heard. I played a little "futbol", soccer for those who don't know what that means. Then we returned and dropped off the kids and went back to the Tapias. We had some downtime before dinner and debriefing. Kacie, Liza and I decided that we need to make a Coca-Cola run tomorrow.
The weather seems to be taking a turn for the worse...storms are brewing off over the mountains. Shouldn't be long before they hit here. We had a leadership meeting and we are doing Construction tomorrow. Kacie, Liza and I will be working on a roof and then VBS in the PM. We have been officially dubbed the Phillies by Felipe and the rest of the GI crew. I am so tired right now...finally lights out...time for some much needed R&R.
Adios, Hasta Manana!

No comments:

Mexico 2008

Mexico 2008